Thursday, April 26, 2012

Toddler Art Smock

I recently whipped up an art smock for a little family member turning two.  Lately I had been looking for a use for this great oilcloth fabric by Amy Butler.  My mom had given me a few scrap pieces leftover from a highchair cover that she had made.  In theory oilcloth should make art clean-up a breeze, only requiring a simple wipe down, but I can only imagine the kind of mess that can result from a kid with paint!

I based my art smock off of a pattern in "One Yard Wonders", but had to alter it to make it work with the amount of fabric I had.  I also changed the pocket in the front, and made my own bias tape out of a different Amy Butler fabric I had on hand. 




Working with oilcloth turned out to be a bit of a challenge.  I had heard that your sewing foot can stick to certain fabrics, and boy did that turn out to be true!  I didn't have too much time to fuss with getting the stitching just right, but I do have another project to work on - learning how to sew with oilcloth!  Maybe another topic for Sewing Tips? 



Elizabeth

No comments:

Post a Comment